The Pastoral approach is grounded in the ethos and vision of the founding Sisters of Scoil Pól. Pastoral Care fosters an environment of care and respect. Every role in our school carries a significant pastoral dimension.
- Each class group enjoys the support and nurturing of a special Pastoral Care teacher, who listens, advises and promotes best practice in leaning and behaviour.
- The Pastoral Care teacher mediates when problems arise.
- Students' progress is monitored through detailed Academic Tracking.
- Parents are kept informed through Parent-Teacher meetings, informal gatherings with parents in the school and regular contact with individual parents as necessary.
- The transition of First Year from primary to secondary school is facilitated by the designated Cairdeas Team.
- Kindness, support and encouragement from Pastoral Care teachers help students to reintegrate where a breach of the Code of Behaviour has occurred and a Behaviour Correction Card has been imposed.
- Special Behaviour Plans promote best behaviour practice. This pre-emptive approach, balancing rewards and sanctions, encourages students to respect themselves and others.
- Patience, creativity and genuine caring underpin all pastoral engagements in Scoil Pól. A holistic approach is taken to the development of the emerging adult.